By Elna K. Solvang
Archaeological discoveries have more and more dropped at mild proof of women's involvement within the royal homes of the traditional close to East, but such proof has now not essentially altered the notion of monarchy as an solely male-gendered theological, political, and social establishment. Solvang's research assembles the facts looking for an built-in view of royal women's place and gear in serious capabilities of monarchy, tough accepted assumptions approximately women's position within the royal harem. The old details serves as a backdrop for a literary studying of biblical texts describing the royal residence of Judah. awareness is given to 3 girls representing diverse royal positions: Michal (daughter), Bathsheba (queen mother), and Athaliah (queen and monarch).
Read or Download A Woman's Place is in the House: Royal Women of Judah and their Involvement in the House of David (JSOT Supplement) PDF
Best women books
Half coming-of-age tale, half mind-altering manifesto on gender and sexuality, coming on to you from the lifestyles stories of a transsexual lady, Gender Outlaw breaks all of the principles and leaves the reader eternally replaced. 26 black-and-white illustrations.
Renowned management blogger offers the low-down on status up for yourself
In Pushback, most sensible management advisor Selena Rezvani argues that self-advocacy is important to luck. but girls begin negotiations 4 occasions much less frequently than males, leading to getting much less of what they want—promotion possibilities, plum assignments, and better pay. This booklet shines a gentle at the actual ideas of preserving your personal and pushing again for what's rightfully yours. Drawing on interviews with high-level leaders, Rezvani bargains readers within the first half their profession the unedited fact approximately how girls have requested their option to the pinnacle and triumphed—and how one can too.
* comprises interviews with most sensible company leaders similar to Marie Chandoha, CEO of Charles Schwab funding administration; Cindi Bigelow, President of Bigelow Tea corporation; Fizzah Jafri, COO at Morgan Stanley; Rosemary Turner, President at UPS; and Irene Chang Britt, leader approach Officer at Campbell's Soup
* deals a competent and methodic method of negotiating and navigating tricky conversations
* Highlights compelling proof and study from the area of psychology and leadership
Insightful and obtainable, Pushback is a well timed source for savvy girls who are looking to leverage their abilities, advertise themselves successfully, and quick song their careers.
Submit Date notice: initially released 2000, e-book variation 2002
The boost of girls in the course of the political process has been essentially the most major advancements of the second one half the 20 th century. For the 1st time we've seen ladies leading Ministers and Presidents in Europe.
Women and Political energy examines the level of development girls have made in ten western ecu international locations, and appears on the elements that have helped, or hindered, their better involvement within the political strategy. This booklet not just explores attention-grabbing contrasts among northern and southern eu international locations, it additionally finds the robust similarities in all international locations. It highlights, specifically, the continued absence of girls from management positions, and the focus of ladies on committees facing social and welfare issues.
Japan's convenience girls tells the harrowing tale of the "comfort girls" who have been compelled to go into prostitution to serve the japanese Imperial military, usually residing in appalling stipulations of sexual slavery. utilizing quite a lot of basic resources, the writer for the 1st time hyperlinks army managed prostitution with enforced prostitution.
- It's a Guy Thing: A Owner's Manual for Women
- Pocketbook Power: How to Reach the Hearts and Minds of Today's Most Coveted Consumers - Women (Advertising Age Books)
- Women Writing Greece: Essays on Hellenism, Orientalism and Travel. (Internationale Forschungen Zur Allgemeinen & Vergleichenden Literaturwissenschaft)
- Women Artists of Russia's New Age 1900-1935
Additional info for A Woman's Place is in the House: Royal Women of Judah and their Involvement in the House of David (JSOT Supplement)
Postgate, The Tablets from Fort Shalmaneser (CTN, 3; Oxford: The Alden Press, 1984), pp. 9-14. 81. ND 2307 in B. Parker, 'The Nimrud Tablets, 1952—Business Documents', Iraq 16 (1954), pp. 29-53 (37-39). 82. F. Saggs, 'The Nimrud Letters, 1952—Part VII', Iraq 27 (1965), pp. 17-32(29). 83. CADS 17, p. 191. 84. GAL. 85. Dalley and Postgate, Tablets from Fort Shalmaneser, p. 9. 86. Dalley and Postgate report 'There is no evidence that the rab ekalli was involved in administering the queen's house' (Tablets from Fort Shalmaneser, p.
129. 103 While Sibtu was not an appointed judge, she was an actor in the system of royal justice as a recipient and respondent in such pleas and by passing along other pleas (probably with a recommendation) to the king. It is clear from the correspondence that Sibtu, without benefit of the titles 'deputy', 'chief counselor' or 'aide', actually carried out these functions. g. g. providing tribute and maintaining a wary eye on borders and troops) make her a valuable and necessary actor on behalf of the royal house of Mari.
182-86). 1. Who Are the Royal Women of the Ancient Near East? 31 of supplies to provide for herself and her staff and she worked to expand her own financial worth. 52 Royal women in Assyria were in regular receipt of wool53 to be turned into clothing items for themselves and other members of the household. 54 It is not inappropriate to assume that women had a hand in supervising and preparing these products. 55 Queen Puduhepa, wife of the Hittite king Suppiluliuma I, wrote to Niqmaddu of Ugarit complaining that she had not received the gold that was to be sent to her as part of the tribute due from Ugarit.