A spouse to girls within the old international provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of newly-commissioned essays from well-known students at the examine of girls within the historical world.
• the 1st interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of readings to deal with the examine of ladies within the historic global
• Explores a large diversity of issues when it comes to ladies in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess thought; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; ladies and the family members, the nation, and faith; gown and Adornment; girl Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; girls in overdue Antiquity; Early ladies Saints; and lots of extra
• Thematically prepared to stress the significance of old subject matters of continuity, improvement, and innovation
• Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions on the subject of ladies in antiquity contains contributions from some of the such a lot favorite students linked to the learn of ladies in antiquity
Selected by means of selection as a 2013 amazing educational Title
Awarded a 2013 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
Read Online or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165) PDF
Best women books
Half coming-of-age tale, half mind-altering manifesto on gender and sexuality, coming on to you from the existence reports of a transsexual lady, Gender Outlaw breaks all of the ideas and leaves the reader ceaselessly replaced. 26 black-and-white illustrations.
Renowned management blogger supplies the low-down on status up for yourself
In Pushback, most sensible management advisor Selena Rezvani argues that self-advocacy is important to good fortune. but ladies begin negotiations 4 occasions much less frequently than males, leading to getting much less of what they want—promotion possibilities, plum assignments, and better pay. This ebook shines a mild at the actual principles of protecting your personal and pushing again for what's rightfully yours. Drawing on interviews with high-level leaders, Rezvani bargains readers within the first 1/2 their occupation the unedited fact approximately how ladies have requested their technique to the head and triumphed—and how one can too.
* contains interviews with most sensible enterprise leaders akin to Marie Chandoha, CEO of Charles Schwab funding administration; Cindi Bigelow, President of Bigelow Tea corporation; Fizzah Jafri, COO at Morgan Stanley; Rosemary Turner, President at UPS; and Irene Chang Britt, leader process Officer at Campbell's Soup
* deals a competent and methodic method of negotiating and navigating tricky conversations
* Highlights compelling proof and examine from the realm of psychology and leadership
Insightful and available, Pushback is a well timed source for savvy girls who are looking to leverage their talents, advertise themselves successfully, and speedy music their careers.
Submit Date observe: initially released 2000, e-book variation 2002
The increase of ladies in the course of the political method has been some of the most major advancements of the second one 1/2 the 20 th century. For the 1st time we've seen ladies major Ministers and Presidents in Europe.
Women and Political strength examines the level of development ladies have made in ten western eu nations, and appears on the components that have helped, or hindered, their larger involvement within the political procedure. This publication not just explores attention-grabbing contrasts among northern and southern ecu nations, it additionally unearths the robust similarities in all nations. It highlights, specifically, the continued absence of girls from management positions, and the focus of ladies on committees facing social and welfare issues.
Japan's convenience girls tells the harrowing tale of the "comfort ladies" who have been pressured to go into prostitution to serve the japanese Imperial military, usually dwelling in appalling stipulations of sexual slavery. utilizing quite a lot of basic resources, the writer for the 1st time hyperlinks army managed prostitution with enforced prostitution.
- Immigrant Women Workers in the Neoliberal Age
- The Spy Who Came In From the Co-op: Melita Norwood and the Ending of Cold War Espionage
- Triangular Pattern Rank
- Academic Women in STEM Faculty: Views beyond a decade after POWRE
- Hillary Rodham Clinton: Politician (Women of Achievement (Hardcover))
- Women Pioneers of Public Education: How Culture Came to the Wild West
Extra info for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165)
One aircraft, flown by Major William Anderson and Sergeant Herbert Chester, unsuccessfully searched the Tasmanian east coast seeking the missing vessel, before landing at Brighton, north of Hobart. J. Stutt and Sergeant Abner Dalzell, in the second DH-9A, accompanied Anderson and Chester. The two aircraft lost contact in cloud above Cape Barren Island. Despite a report of an aircraft flying over Vansittart Island in Bass Strait with an obvious engine malfunction and a sighting of a ball of fire dropping into the sea, an extensive sea and air search sadly failed to discover any wreckage of Stutt’s and Dalzell’s aircraft.
The Australian initiative was accepted by the aircraft manufacturers, who conducted a parallel program in conjunction with the squadron to produce the Sunderland Mk V in December 1944. Despite their role in its development, 10 Squadron was not equipped with this aircraft until July 1945, after the cessation of hostilities. The fact that on average 461 Squadron flew 1554 operational hours for each U-boat sinking gives some indication of the nature of coastal command anti-submarine operations. Even so, of the 52 U-boats that were claimed by all aircraft, 23 per cent fell to the two Australian squadrons, five during the period 1 May–31 August 1943.
Three U-boats fell to 461 Squadron. Flight Lieutenant E. Smith sunk U-332 on 2 May, and Flight Lieutenant J. Clark shared the sinking of U-106 with a 228 Squadron crew on 2 August. The third U-boat was sunk by Flight Lieutenant Dudley Marrows of 461 Squadron on 30 July in what can only be described as an improbable coincidence. Three U-boats, two 1600-tonne ‘milch cows’ (large refuelling submarines used to replenish active submarines at sea with fuel and torpedoes, thus extending the time that they could remain in action) and a 740-tonne vessel, were sighted on the surface by a patrolling Consolidated Liberator aircraft.